1. Ahoy there! Be sure to read this important announcement regarding Pirates Online Retribution's official Open Beta release date! Retribution is at hand!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Pirates Online Retribution needs Python Developers! If you are fluent in Python and are interested in helping bring back Pirates Online for good, then please email us at [email protected]! Please also be sure to check out the following Help Wanted thread!
  3. Pirates Online Retribution is now selling its very own t-shirts, and hoodies! If you're interested in layin' claim to one, be sure to head on over to this thread before they're all gone!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. After several days of conversing with the bulk of our community, we have unanimously agreed upon a way to legally accept Forum donations. Users who donate will be gifted with a brand new "Supporter" nameplate along with several other unique abilities. You can donate directly here! :)
    Dismiss Notice

Announcement OP | POTCO MC <> Pirates MC

Discussion in 'Pirates MC News and Updates' started by Pearson Wright, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Pearson Wright

Pirate God

123040140_1556409917914737_8807331792526539674_o.jpg

Ahoy,
    all ye savvy pirates!

The time has finally come for me to start paying more attention to my first major, and older project -- POTCO MC, or as it is now known, Pirates MC. Pirates MC as you all know currently exists as a massive and extremely detailed replication of Pirates of the Caribbean Online in Minecraft. You'll all be happy to know, that I will be keeping it as such!

That being said, however... with POTC: Dead Men Tell No Tales right around the corner, I've set similar goals for Pirates MC that I have for Pirates Online Retribution in regards to the developmental progression of the server, as well as the aim to greatly expand the size of the community, and the scope of our fan base.

First of all, I'd like to go ahead and make a list of some of the more important, and most noticeable changes that will be coming to Pirates MC in short order.

1.) Main domain has been changed from potcomc.us to piratesmc.net (Done)
    • Why? potco is not a very popular, or widely searched phrase. Therefore, having this domain automatically cripples the potential of the server by pushing it down in the search results. Not to mention that potco is often associated with "pot" or marijuana to people who do not know what the abbreviation actually stands for. Pirates MC on the other hand contains two very popular search terms -- Pirates, and MC, which is an abbreviation for Minecraft. That all being said, the main purpose of this domain change is to improve our SEO score and to potentially reach out to far more people than we have so far.
    2.) Texture Pack will be reduced from 250MB to 50MB (Done)
    • Why? Our texture pack currently does not automatically download due to the size-constraint mandated by Mojang/Microsoft of 50MB, and is sometimes very difficult to use for some users which makes the server not desirable simply due to the initial complexity users are faced with upon joining. Fortunately, we've been able to reduce the size to roughly 50MB without removing very many textures making the pack eligible for automated downloads. We found that a massive portion of the Pack consisted of audio files and other things that we feel that we can do without. We will still keep a download link to the high resolution version of the texture pack on our website!
    3.) Website will be completely redone (Done)
    • I am very dissatisfied with the current state of the Pirates MC website. I intend to completely remodel the design, theme, and overall functionality of the website in short-order to make it more visually appealing, and engaging, whilst also keeping it simple to use for even the most computer-illiterate people out there! Here's a link to our current website: http://www.piratesmc.net/
    4.) More content will be implemented
    • I will be implementing several new quests, as well as finishing all of the builds that are not yet completed, and adding a handful of new plugins to make the server more fun and engaging for all of our users. I aim to get a sailing plugin made within the next couple of months.

F.A.Q.
    Q1.) Why is this important? Why can't we just focus on POR? Nobody cares about Minecraft!
    • Over 60 million people have purchased and downloaded the PC version of Minecraft. It is currently the most widely promoted video game on Youtube, and with ever-increasing membership, it doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon! We currently have the only Pirates of the Caribbean oriented Minecraft server, and with a POTC movie right around the corner, that means that we have a huge opportunity to not only make Pirates MC more popular and active than ever before, but to potentially bring some of its players over to POR as well. Furthermore, this server initially helped to provide crucial funding for POR. We believe that it has the potential to keep on providing funding that will be necessary for POR's future expansion and growth.
    Q2.) How can I help?
    • We need a ton of builders and java developers. Youtube promotion would also be greatly appreciated so that we can get the server back up to par for the time being and get a decent fan base online to help get kick things back in gear!
    Q3.) Are there any bounties for completion of certain tasks?
    • Yes! Just like with POR, I've created a development budget for POTCO MC as well. If you're interested in the bounties, please PM me! :D

I look forward to making this all a reality and to working with @BrakeZap and @Mercury to get this done by May of 2017! :)

#1 Pearson Wright, Oct 26, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  2. BrakeZap

BrakeZap
    POTCO MC Staff

Can't wait to get started! :)

Belkin, Mastermind and Pearson Wright like this.
  3. Mahroos (POTCO)

Seems good to me.

Belkin, Mastermind and Pearson Wright like this.
  4. Glare Masters

Pirate God

Im interested in hearing ideas from you guys on what you want to see on the new website. If you are interested or have opinions, please contact me either here or via the Discord on PM. Looking forward to hearing from you guys soon!

Belkin, Pearson Wright and Mastermind like this.
  5. kingnight

Good idea might be worth getting back into MC servers again. Would love to help but don't have the useful skills needed beside possibly seeing if I can break out of the map cause that's something I do often. If there is even an area your not suppose to go

Belkin, Pearson Wright and Mastermind like this.
  6. Mastermind

I havent played mc in a long time but I want to check this out :)

Belkin, kingnight and Pearson Wright like this.
  7. Davy SeaSkull

How do I sign up to help?

Belkin likes this.
  8. Pearson Wright

Pirate God

You'll need to buy Minecraft in order to play.

Belkin likes this.
  9. kingnight

give me all your rum that's how.....
    Don't ask why.

idk me im just going to play and see if I can get somewhere im not meant to be cause that is fun for me.

Pearson Wright and Belkin like this.
  10. Belkin

Awesome, glad to see the two fronts being pushed forward! A good future is ahead!

Pearson Wright likes this.
  11. Davy SeaSkull

Well duh. I have had Minecraft for 3 years now, at least. My MC name is "Zarlk" if you ever see me.

12. Pearson Wright

Pirate God

13. Beardynator

Its been awhile since ive been on PiratesMC as its now called back when it was really bare boned and couldnt do alot :D

14. Pearson Wright

Pirate God

UPDATE:

• The texture pack now properly auto-downloads on the server
    • We have officially switched our domain to piratesmc.net, and have revamped the website. Check it out: https://piratesmc.net/ (We will be adding on more to the site in short order)

Glare Masters likes this.
  15. Beardynator

Great addition for ease of use @Pearson Wright

16. Glare Masters

Pirate God

I'm happy to inform you all that the new website is up and running! Check it out @ http://www.piratesmc.net/ // Hope you guys enjoy! (P.S. Staff page has been added!)

Pearson Wright likes this.
  17. Beardynator

Great to hear :D thanks for your effort :D

18. kingnight

just thought of something that worries me.... what if they steal the map and call it there own I suggest hiding signs around the place a lot of them saying that it is a POR map not TLOPO or anything else.

19. Glare Masters

Pirate God

It's super easy to just go and find it... really no use of it.

20. kingnight

ok also I tried the server the texture pack did not load correctly I think only a few items in my hot bar had the texture. So much coal ore in the cell lol