1. Pirates Online Retribution needs Python Developers! If you are fluent in Python and are interested in helping bring back Pirates Online for good, then please email us at [email protected]! Please also be sure to check out the following Help Wanted thread!
  2. Ahoy there! Be sure to check out our brand new identity tags feature! We've officially integrated Facebook, Skype, Steam, Twitter, Youtube and many other social media outlets and gaming platforms into the Pirates Forums. You won't be disappointed! :)
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Pirates MC is in dire need of some savvy builders. Help us in our endeavor to complete the unfinished builds still left on the official Pirates Online Minecraft server and receive some truly savvy rewards!
  4. Avast me hearties! This Thanksgiving, we'd like to remind ye all to Give Thanks to our wonderful team of developers, moderators, and sponsors for helping to make Pirates Online Retribution possible!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Pirates Online Retribution is now selling its very own t-shirts, and hoodies! If you're interested in layin' claim to one, be sure to head on over to this thread before they're all gone!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. After several days of conversing with the bulk of our community, we have unanimously agreed upon a way to legally accept Forum donations. Users who donate will be gifted with a brand new "Supporter" nameplate along with several other unique abilities. You can donate directly here! :)
    Dismiss Notice

Giving Thanks!

Discussion in 'Site & Game Discussion and Feedback' started by Pearson Wright, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Pearson Wright

Pirate God

Good afternoon,
    friends and fellow pirates!

As you all know, Thanksgiving is just 2 days away, and given that the majority of us will likely soon be preoccupied stuffing our faces, I think now is probably the last chance I'm going to get to make this thread before this month's holiday is over.

The past 5 months have been very intense and "crazy" for lack of a better term, for pretty much all of us. So much has changed, and is still continuing to. While I consider it a miracle that Pirates Online Retribution was able to get up and running so quickly, and that for the first time in over 3 years, anyone can now relive the legend without any restrictions, completely for free I might add, I have noticed a change in the general mood of both the TLOPO and POR communities. Hostilities towards one another, and especially towards the developers of both projects have reached an all-time high. Whenever an update is made, little to no appreciate is shown, and in many cases, the developers are belittled for not getting things done "fast enough". Encouragement has turned into discouragement, and appreciation has turned into entitlement. Just the other day, someone within our own community named "Edward Vulture" threatened to "Have me put in jail" for not getting updates out fast enough. During our most recent GM event, one of the GMs was insulted nonstop by several users because they did not receive "Extra items".

While frustration towards TLOPO's Staff does have merit considering how long it's taken them to get things done, as well as the extremely heinous things they've done to so many people in the past, I think it's worth reminding many of you that POR is not TLOPO. We are 1/10th as old as them as of today, and throughout the duration of our project's existence, we have been relentlessly attacked by our malignant competitor. Despite these two disadvantages, we've still managed to progress at an almost immeasurable rate. Many of you do not realize, acknowledge, or respect this.

I'd like to take this opportunity to remind you all that this is not Disney Interactive. We are not paid employees. We are community volunteers who work out of the goodness of our hearts for all of you. We do not have to. We are not obliged to. We choose to. The developers who work tirelessly to provide you with a free, and fully public emulator deserve nothing but absolute respect and appreciation from every single one of you. It sickens me to see so many of our Staff being belittled on Discord and Social Media, when they're sacrificing so much of their time just to make you happy.

Of POR's 5,250 verified registered players, 6 of them are Forum donors -- roughly 0.001% of the community, or 1 in every 875 people. Of those 6 donors, 95% of the donation money came from 2 people -- myself and @Golden Coast. This means that 5,244 of you out there play Pirates Online solely because these 6 individuals, the developers, and our moderators have gone out of our way, and traveled through purity Hell in many cases to provide you with a game. We chose to do this because after 2 1/2 years of watching TLOPO make a mockery out of our once proud community, we knew something had to be done, and so we took the initiative to do it. Because of our sacrifice of time and money, anyone can now play Pirates Online for free, whenever they want, for as long as they want.

When POTCO was around, we had a Billion Dollar company (Disney) to fall back on. Today, all we have is each other. We cannot continue constantly being at each other's throats. This has to stop.

And so this Thanksgiving, I'd like to personally, humbly request that you all, for once, ask not what your community can do for you, but what you can do for your community. (Yes, I bummed this off of JFK.)

Special Thanks to those who have made POR possible:
    @Capt. SaneGhost
    @DaemonX
    @Hallagon
    @JordanMaxwell
    @Marcdekkid
    @Jake
    @Mahroos (POTCO)
    @Adrianna Angel
    @Esmerelda NyghtWytch
    @COMMANDER
    @Freakynator
    @DrSips_
    @Glare Masters
    @Nicole
    @Hippie
    @Treasurer
    @Mastermind
    @Natsu
    @royko64
    @Will Scurvyrat
    @Thomas Treasureratte
    @Sven Darkbones
    @Golden Coast
    @Daniel Alves
    @Captain Skye
    @cypherronin
    @N0bleGam1ng

Godspeed,
    Pearson Wright | Project Manager of POR/Pirates MC

#1 Pearson Wright, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    Roguewave, Fade, JollyRoger and 16 others like this.
  2. KingMaddog

Can't wait for it to be released so TLOPO will break apart.

3. Ducky

Pirate Captain

I did not know you could donate. I may be able help out. :)

It is so kind to devote your personal time to further POR and I thank each and every one of you.

#3 Ducky, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  4. Natsu

Very well said Pearson.... And I can't thank you guys enough, the main reason I've been trying to get a job is so I can help with the funding, and as I PM'd you the other day I start Monday, so very soon expect some help mate, and I do have to agree with you about the devs not getting enough thanks. As someone who never did developing for anything more then a side hobby, I understand some of the frustration, and agony of it. I joke around with everyone on the staff, try to keep them in a good happy mood, and you're right, they don't get the thanks or respect they've very much so deserved! People 'expect' it to just be there! That stuff takes time! Sailing isn't here?? So what! You're getting NEW CLASSES and a entirely NEW SHIP. And it's ALPHA of course there's going to be somethings missing!! The devs aren't magic! They can't wish for something and it just happen! They work hard behind the scenes! And they need to be acknowledge for their work! Thank you for this Pearson, and sorry about my semi-rant. It ticks me off how people do the devs here... it really does. They don't deserve the stuff they get put through just to bring everyone the game!

5. Nicole

Glad to have you all around <3

I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving

6. Natsu

Likewise Nicole! Always have a blast with you guys in game and especially on discord! I haven't been here as long as most of you guys, but you've all each and every one have became like family to me, through potco ofc, but nonetheless. And I can't wait till the adventures begin! So many are already in the making!

7. Adrianna Angel

Pirate Lord

Very well said Pearson !!!! As a sponsor since joining , and as a current staff member , I am proud of the accomplishments being made here in such short time . I also ask of certain individuals within the community to please understand so much is being done by so few , and on their own time . Lets focus on what has been done , and the fact that it is open and free to the public . I kindly ask those who are impatient , to please understand this is a complex undertaking , it is not something that can happen in one nights work . Please join POR discord , POR facebook and our POR forums and read the updates , they are there for you to be advised on the current development status of the game . We all should be grateful for what we have , and know that the development team , the Administration , and the Staff are hard at work for you . So kindly support your community in return , we need your understanding and patience , also and above all , your respect . Be grateful that you can login to the game and play when you want , be grateful you have developers hard at work , be grateful you have administration and staff with a vision of progress , but remember we need you to support our "community " in a positive fashion also , our course is planned , our sails are set , we will get there . Fair Winds AAWP.jpg I wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving

Arkayan, Fade, Scurge and 3 others like this.
  8. Adrianna Angel

Pirate Lord

yes it does feel like family.

Natsu and Pearson Wright like this.
  9. Natsu

VERY well said Anna!
    YES, one big cheesy... er- happy family! Sorry, nachos have gone to my head!

10. Mahroos (POTCO)

This is true, and sad, :( many people are very unappreciative of the fact we are trying out best to provide a proper POTCO emulator for them. And they are always forcing us to do things for them while we are working hard to keep them happy. I don't remember this as how the POTCO community used to be, I remember the POTCO community as a community full of strong, and active players. Always being nice to each other, and having fun and not just cursing at the creators of the game. "Lets make POTCO great again" (Sorry for the reference, had to :D)

11. Mahroos (POTCO)

Nacho's always go to your head :p You are the Nacho :D

12. Mahroos (POTCO)

Well said Adrrianna :D

13. Capt. SaneGhost

Ahoy there id like to formally say thank you for all who has said thanks, it makes me feel grand to read that heart warming message as well as the support. I spend practically the whole day on discord, I stop what I am in the middle of to serve the community. My fiance is kinda iffy about it but I know I am doing something good. I love to keep POR up and Disney, who knows maybe one day Disney may hire our community once again. As said before I am grateful to be here with the community and Thank you all for being here.

I love ya all ;) <3

14. Nicole

That is so sweet :p Yeah I feel the same way with people... yay for family <3

15. Natsu

Hmm... this is true...
    Aye, got blood that ain't family, and family that ain't blood. I'm glad to be among the staff with all of you! Even Mashrooms and the Bearded one haha. Each and every single one of you guys bring your own unique quality's to the community, and it's these little things that makes it so great! POR is proof that just a handful of people working together can accomplish anything! And I can't wait till the hoards of newcomers come in, yes I'll cry.... tears of joy, not of having to greet 200 a day... lel. It's going to be great!! I'm thankful POR exist, they're bringing back POTCO in the way it was always meant to be. And that... that is TRULY priceless... thanks to everyone who's helped make the game, the forums, discord, the community become a second home to me. All of you are completely crazy!! But we're all pirates after all! Savvy??

16. Adrianna Angel

Pirate Lord

Well said Sane !!!!

Pearson Wright and Natsu like this.
  17. kingnight

hehe Ill be stuffing my face full of turkey and rum as I watch the world burn around around me... well not the world, more like the ships me and my crew destroyed for these fine turkeys and rum.

18. COMMANDER

Pirate God

Keep the train rolling Mr Pearson! We all wouldn't be here without you!

Natsu and Pearson Wright like this.
  19. COMMANDER

Pirate God

IM THANKFULL FOR ALL YOU! I DO LOVE YOU ALL! BEST COMMUNITY EVER RIGHT HERE!

Fade, Natsu and Pearson Wright like this.
  20. Golden Coast

Pirate God

And thank you, Mr. Wright, for assembling this whole project in one piece!

And as for the developers, I am extremely grateful for their amazing progress thus far!